Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Moving Day

After all of the list making and preplanning, moving day finally arrived. I returned to Grand Rapids on March 6 and woke up on March 7 with no voice (only a faint whisper). With no time to loose, I started piling and sorting what we wanted to bring and met with our move advisor.


On March 8, my voice was even worse. Lucky for me my friend Karen went shopping with me so she could talk to the clerks and interpret my croaks and squeaks. We got most of the things on my lists and then it was back to sorting. 


With lots of help from family and friends I had everything sorted and inventoried by Sunday night. The detailed inventory was the most tedious part, but thanks to Kyle it is in an excel spreadsheet so the return inventory will be much easier.


Monday morning arrived along with Dave, Rosalie and Angie to get everything into boxes. They were friendly and efficient and made everything go smoothly. Rosalie is from the Philippines and lived in Hong Kong for ten years. She knows our building and was even giving me hints on some shopping and such. By the end of the day all of the piles had disappeared into boxes. The only thing missing was my voice. Part of it was back which meant I sounded like a bullfrog instead of a mute swan.


Tuesday saw the container arrive and with all of the advanced preparations it was loaded in about two hours.





The crew worked tirelessly and made sure our belongings were safely stowed.




Once the last of the boxes were on board and everything was tied down, Jerry (the container driver) headed off to the Chicago rail yards. From there it's on to Long Beach by train and then by ship to Hong Kong. Our expected delivery is April 19. Until then we will have just enough in the apartment to get by - it will be like camping! 


So as I said a temporary goodbye to our belongings...




... I now have other details to put into place. Then it's back to Hong Kong to move again from our serviced apartment to our new home. How lucky is Ken to be at meetings this entire time? Some people just know how to schedule. Oh, my normal voice is still among the missing but getting better each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment