Monday, November 5, 2012

Another Visit to Big Buddha

One place that is a must see for visitors who have the time is Big Buddha. Although I have posted before (and recently) on this area, there is always something new and interesting to see. And I have become addicted to cable cars - I love them. This time I had Michael and Karen for company.


I have walked the path of the Twelve Generals several times and this time realized that each is related to an animal from the Chinese zodiac. So I had my photo taken with the general of the ox.


Some interesting facts about Big Buddha include his height at 34 meters (112 ft.), weight at 250 metric tons (280 tons) and on a clear day he can reputedly be seen from Macao.


There are 240 steps to the Buddha platform and 262 to the base of the statue.


The statue is actually named Tian Tan Buddha because its base is a model of the Altar of Heaven or Earthly Mount of Tian Tan, the Temple of Heaven in Beijing. He sits on a lotus throne.


The Po Lin Monastary has been in existence since 1906. This time the monks were not at prayers so I could get some interior shots of the main hall.




One of the other things I enjoy when traveling to various places is the variety of signs that are somewhat unusual. Buddhists are vegetarians after all.


No question, you are at a Chinese village when in Ngong Ping.


And just in case you want an unusual souvenir, there is this one at the entrance to the cable car.


Perhaps there is good reason for that last one.


No comments:

Post a Comment