Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fu Xing Park

On our first morning in Shanghai, I took my camera to Fu Xing Park right next to our hotel. It is a large park and one of the most well used I have ever seen. Central Park in New York City is a very active park but in different ways. 






Fu Xing is a hub for the community more than any park I have ever seen. As you walk along you can find almost any activity imaginable. It is populated by the young and the old and everyone in between. There are huge open spaces and long shaded walkways.






You can see groups exercising and line dancing.




Children walking with their parents.




And groups of older men playing cards, checkers & mahjong or just chatting away.







There are some quiet wooded paths and along the way you can find people stretching and even practicing the sax.





One of my most favorite activities was spread throughout the park. Groups would gather and spend hours dancing. There was everything from the tango to the foxtrot. They wore beautiful dresses or comfy clothes and just danced and danced.





Other groups would find a spot and set up some music and sing. Some used recorded music while others set up music stands and had a choral director.




There are sculptures throughout including one of Marx and Engles.





But more than anything, it was the people who captured my delight. I am pretty sure I was the only westerner in the park and yet I did not feel out of place. Although no one spoke English, with a few nods and gestures we managed to communicate and I had a delightful time.











While taking some photos of flowers, an older gentleman came up and pointed out some particular specimens for me to photograph. Each time he would check the camera and make sure I got a good shot. He even allowed  me to take his photo as part of the series.





There was a 100 year old ging ko tree on display.




Lots of games are played and even a group of kite fliers.







I spent several hours wandering in both the morning and the afternoon and had there not been so much else to see, I would have been content to spend most of my days there.


And just beyond one of the gates are the Steelcase offices.





What a wonderful place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment