Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Museum

Ever since arriving in Hong Kong, I have seen signs directing visitors to the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Museum. I knew it was nearby and after telling myself for the past four months that I needed to be sure to see it, I finally took the time to walk to the museum (uphill this time).




The legacy of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen was not terribly familiar to me. I knew that he was one of the leaders of the revolution that freed China from dynastic rule. After touring these exhibits I learned just how instrumental he was in leading the many revolutions until the one in 1911 succeeded. He began his education as a medical student and through his exposure to others of like-minded political persuasion, he was transformed into one of the most significant political figures in Chinese history. 


His secondary and university education was in Hong Kong and much of his political planning and financing was funneled through this then-British colony. I learned of his world-wide travels recruiting supporters and participants to the cause of a free China. I also learned of the sacrifices of so many to the cause. Dr. Sun died knowing China was no longer under dynastic rule, but was far from his hopes and dreams. What I thought would be a 20 to 30 minute walk through a few galleries, turned into nearly two hours of reading and observing the displays focused on this remarkable man.






Another surprise to this visit was the house where the museum is located. Kom Tong Hall was built in 1914 by Ho Kom Tong and is a blending of Chinese and Western architectural styles. Unfortunately, photographs were not allowed within the building, and nearby construction greatly limited the angles from which to take good exterior photos. But believe me when I say that the home itself was worth the price of admission.


The Museum is only the third occupant of this home. The family retained it through several generations and then sold it to the Mormon church. The church agreed to sell it back to the government for use as a museum. Before installing the exhibits, the home underwent a complete restoration. While adding necessary fire and safety equipment, great care was taken to disguise the modern requirements and retain the original look and feel of the home. The woodwork was all restored, the tiles reset, the railings redone and more. You truly felt like you were walking through someone's home and the wood and stained glass were most impressive. 


It was a great way to fill an afternoon and my brain. I hope to discover more of these great exhibits in the weeks to come. And thanks to the huge focus on cultural education in Hong Kong, it will be easy. For US$12 a person can buy a  pass good for seven of the largest and most impressive museums in Hong Kong for one year of unlimited admissions. For Ken and I it was only US$6 because we are over 60. Additionally, each museum has one day a week of free admissions for those who cannot afford the modest entrance fees. The emphasis on cultural education should be a model for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment