Sunday, November 13, 2011

Back Home Again

As we were getting ready to leave for the airport for our visit home, the following photo of our house was sent by my friend Debi.

 
Luckily, by the time we arrived the snow had melted but more is predicted for later in the week. We will have a bit of adjusting to do with our bodies being so accustomed to warm weather (upper 60's brings out jackets in Hong Kong), but luckily all of our cold weather clothes are waiting here.

Door to door our trip home lasted 25 hours. We had a six hour layover in Chicago that was brutal. If there were some decent seating it would have been much better. Kyle and Johnny met us at the airport and delivered us home to a beautifully clean house, a big bouquet of flowers, two smiling cats (well, they were happy to see us anyway) and food. The fridge was stocked and it seems they had a cook-off for our return. We had chicken pasta broccoli, chicken satay with lime rice and chicken saltimboca. (Must have been a special on chicken.) It was all delicious and there was enough so that I don't have to cook for the first few days. 

We slept well the first night, not so well the second but getting adjusted none the less. Ken is off playing hockey this morning and I am really enjoying my bed. The cats are cuddling and I am trying to get over my lethargy to make a cup of tea.

I will keep posting while home as events transpire. I am home through the holidays. Ken will be here through November 28th when he heads back to Hong Kong till December 16. He is then back home for Christmas and we will return together on January 2. His time back in Hong Kong will be mostly travel. He leaves the day after returning for Delhi, India. He will also make two trips to Shanghai before heading back for Christmas. I will take advantage of the time to get caught up on doctor's appointments, house details and getting to see as many people as I can.

We will have a great Thanksgiving with Shayne coming home, my folks coming from New Jersey, my brother Mark from Indiana and our friend May Lene from Kuala Lumpur (it will be her first Thanksgiving). We will also have some local family join us as well. I don't have a final number yet, but I am looking for a mega turkey. On the 26th, Ken and I will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. It is hard to imagine that much time has gone by. We still feel young and if we don't look in the mirror we can actually believe it!

Right now we are scheduled to return at the end of January. But as we have learned that is not definite till we get on the plane. We are excited to have a bit more time in Hong Kong. Ken loves the work he is doing and I have never seen him happier with his job. I am feeling like every day is a new opportunity to see and learn. It has been especially wonderful to have the opportunity to learn about my step father Henry's homeland and to visit many of the places he has been. It is a connection I feel strongly and I only wish he were still with us to tell me more of the stories of his youth.

For now, I hope to see as many of you as I can. Call me so we can set up a time to get together if you can. I will keep posting and updating the newest leg of our adventure - home.

No comments:

Post a Comment