Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Kowloon Park

I went to lunch with my friend Vesper recently and afterward took a walk through Kowloon Park. Perhaps I should say a small portion of Kowloon Park. This park is situated off Nathan Road behind a long row of two story shops. Every so often there is a break in the storefronts with a set of stairs heading up. Lucky for me the steps I climbed led to the Chinese Garden. This area is beautiful and peaceful with a pagoda in the center of a pond and a long gallery for resting and interacting with other park goers.




Another feature of this and most parks throughout Hong Kong are the Heritage Trees. These trees are very old and very beautiful and they always bring a smile when you see one.


Next to the Chinese Garden was an incredibly intricate hedge maze. Running through it were two small children whose heads popped up from time to time as they giggled and worked their way through. Although I couldn't capture them in my photo because they were at the far end of the maze it was a delightful moment.


The shops along Nathan Road do more than line the edge of the park. They also provide a series of quiet rooftop gardens.


As I neared the end of the park there was a huge mosque. From a distance it looks to have a speckled dome. But upon closer examination, the speckles were birds.



At the exit one quick turn and a set of stairs takes you right back into the hustle and bustle of the city.


No comments:

Post a Comment