Friday, May 13, 2011

Another Park

I decided to visit the Tea Ware Museum the other day. On my map it said it was located in Hong Kong Park. HK Park is about a 20 minute walk from the apartment near the Peak Tram, so I set off knowing where I was going (in general). I am continually amazed at the green spaces in this city.




To get into the park the only way to go is, of course, up. Once you enter there are multiple trails and places of interest. The first spot I came across was a walk through aviary. It was huge and to get to the entrance you have to climb about seven or more flights worth of stairs. 





It is well worth the climb. Inside it is peaceful and serene. There is a boardwalk that starts up in the trees and works its way down through this vast area. Not only are the birds beautiful to see, but there is a stream coursing below that makes the most wonderful sound.




After leaving the aviary, I followed the signs to the Olympic Square which is a small yet beautiful amphitheater built to honor Hong Kong's Olympic athletes. 
There were a few businessmen eating their lunches and just enjoying the atmosphere.


Exiting Olympic Square I came across the Lakes. This is a series of man made ponds and waterfalls teeming with turtles. Above this was a botanic conservatory with several areas filled with unusual plant life. 


At this point I was beginning to think that I might never find the Tea Ware museum. But as I rounded the final lake...


...there it was. The house had originally been home to the head of the British Fleet in HK. No photos were allowed inside so I cannot show what was a very interesting exhibit. Each gallery was filled with tea making instructions and tea ware for various periods throughout history. It was amazing to see a tea pot from the 8th century. On the second floor there was a special exhibit of a modern tea ware competition. The pieces were so varied and interesting. Some were quite intricate, some very whimsical and all very well crafted.




Outside the museum was one of the best views if the Lippo Buildings. They remind me legos. On my way out of the park (after having skipped a few more of the areas) was a very interesting sight.




The registry of marriage licenses is in the park as well, and several cars were lined up and decorated for the couples there to get licensed. 


After about three hours of wandering it was back to the apartment and a bit of air conditioning. That day it topped 90F with very high humidity. It was the first time I went past glisten and glow and all the way to sweat. By yesterday we had some rain and the weather was back to our usual high 80's and humid. Much more enjoyable.


It is Saturday noon here and Ken and I are off to a new part of town. I will catch you up on this trek later.


Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment