Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Going to the Zoo

Since Tuesday was a public holiday, Ken & I decided to find somewhere to go. He is still struggling with the time difference and didn't wake up till 10 AM (very un-Ken).So we looked for someplace close by. Well, I love zoos and botanic gardens and in Hong Kong the two are one. To our surprise the park is two blocks from our apartment and best of all, it's free.




It is built into the side of the mountain so it is somewhat like the San Diego Zoo where you can walk the entire park and everything is somehow uphill. It is also a bit like Central Park with all of the tall buildings surrounding it. 




There is a beautiful fountain in the middle of the garden section and it was hot enough I wanted to jump in. However, I restrained myself and settled for an ice cream bar from one of the vendors. Boy did we need that.


The animal exhibits are fine for viewing but not so great for photography. Because of the city setting and limited space, most of the animals are behind cages or plexiglas which is terrible for getting that great shot. But I did manage a few good ones.




There are lots of primates and tortoises and turtles. This is probably my best shot since he posed and smiled for me.





The aviaries house a marvelous selection of some very unusual species. There were cranes as tall as I am who liked to chase the visitors as they came up the hill.


The trees and flowers are as varied as can be and the fragrance is intoxicating. There were so many kinds that I was kept busy just snapping photos.




The little pineapple looking plants are actually not pineapple. They are only about 2 inches high and grow on long stems. 




This tree flowers in the most unusual way. The color is striking and before our stay is over, I plan to visit and learn much more about all of these beautiful specimens.


Today it is back to work for Ken (yes all of you Steelcase people, he is working hard). My visa came through for two trips into mainland China. One will be coming up shortly. On Sunday we are leaving for Kuala Lumpur for a week of work there and a special awards dinner we have been invited to. May Lene works in KL and has promised to take me shopping for a dress for the event. The theme is Hollywood Glam. We return to HK on Sunday and leave Monday morning for Beijing (it is more economical to do it this way). We will be there for a week. Ken and May Lene will be presenting a program but luckily for me May Lene is bringing her sister along so I will have someone to tour with while they are at work. Better yet, they speak Chinese! The last few days in Beijing we will be taking some tours with an English speaking tour guide and I am sure the four of us will have some amazing stories to tell.


I walked through a few more galleries this afternoon. I am in love with the more contemporary art that is being created in China today. There is one particular artist that Ken fell in love with on his first trip here. I discovered today that he is one of the more famous and accomplished artists currently working. We are both quite taken with his work but it is well beyond our budget. I bought a book of his works instead.


To those of you in Grand Rapids, make sure to go see "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying" currently playing at Circle Theatre. It will be a great night of entertainment, I promise.


Catch you all up again in a few. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment