Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Day Wandering

Spending a day wandering the neighborhood is a lesson in contrasts. The ultra modern sits along side the old and ancient. Following lunch I decided to walk along Hollywood Road and see what I could find.


This area is filled with galleries and antique shops. I stopped into one that specializes in Vietnamese art. The range was impressive and there was one painting I would have loved to take home with me. The antique stores tout such treasures as carved mammoth tusks (incredibly intricate and no photos allowed), carved jade and amazing furniture along with the expected pottery and jewelry.




Further along the road I came upon the Man Mo Temple. This Temple was built in 1849 and is tucked between all of the newer construction and high rises. It is currently run by a charity hospital organization which used the donations to fund schools and clinics for underprivileged children.




The second set of inner doors is so that evil spirits, who can only move straight forward, will hit the second set of doors and be turned away.




Once inside, the air is filled with incense and sticks are provided for visitors to honor their loved ones. I lit one in each section for my step father, Henry Wu, who I know would be thrilled that I have finally been able to visit his homeland.




The ceilings of the temple were hung with the spiraled pieces that you see in the photo above. I am not sure of the meaning behind these hangings, but each has a card hanging from it with writing on it.




The final room in the temple is where the walls are lined with tributes to individual ancestors. I took one photo before I realized I shouldn't. It is a very moving place. The Chinese culture reveres its ancestors and this Temple taught this lesson well.




After leaving the temple I headed back to the apartment for a short rest. The road leading up to our home cuts up quite steeply. We usually walk up it, but if we are very tired we can walk on the lower level for a bit and take an escalator up that is right next to our apartment.




Our building is tall and skinny with only one apartment per floor. We look down on the old Hong Kong police department and jail. They are no longer used. In the yard is a fantastic tree that is currently in bloom. Unfortunately, with the tinting on our windows, I can't get a photo of it. It isn't visible from street level.


Later in the day I went out looking for a store to buy a pre-paid IDD (International Direct Dial) cell phone. It was not an easy task. I finally found a Nokia store at the mall, but they did not have the pre-paid ones at that location. I need to go to Causeway Bay for that. I think I will ask our doorman for a recommendation.




While looking for the cell phone, I came across this beautiful house sitting on a hill. There is a surprise on every corner.




Finally, here is a peek at a tram stop (the trams are in the middle - very skinny and on rails). These two level trams have been running for over 100 years and are still a popular means of transportation. Most of the busses are also two levels as well. I plan to ride one of each soon.


It is another cloudy, misty day but I saw a bit of sun peeking through a moment ago. Time to get ready for the day.


Miss you all.

1 comment:

  1. Patti,

    Love the photos and this is going to be such an awesome adventure for you, and of course the rest of us who follow along online. Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete