Thursday, June 9, 2011

Kowloon Markets and Sai Kung

After our return from Beijing, I finally had the chance to meet with Sabine. Her husband Thomas works with Ken. They are originally from Germany and have been living in Asia for about five years or so. They have three children (Sebastian, Leon and Lucy) who speak German, English (with a British accent - British schools here) and Mandarin. It always makes me feel inadequate to see how the rest of the world stresses multi-lingual education and I have only English and a smattering of high school and college French and Spanish neither of which I am conversant in. 




Anyway, Sabine and I met to go to the markets in Kowloon. We hit it off immediately and spent most of the day perusing the markets and getting to know each other. Unlike the markets in China where they sell everything and anything and you are under a constant barrage from the vendors, Kowloon markets are name specific and you can peacefully browse the wares. We visited five different markets all within a short walk of each other.




There was the Flower Market where several blocks of vendors sell all kinds of flowers, arrangements and supplies. Before heading home I purchased a beautiful orchid and some cut flowers to brighten up the apartment.





The best part is that the Orchid and the cut flowers each cost about US$4. 


Next we strolled through the Bird Market.




The Bird Market is very tiny and tucked into a small walkway. You can buy birds, of course, but also anything you might need to take care of them. Earlier, on my walk from the MTR to the markets, I passed an older gentleman walking with a cane and carrying a small birdcage. Now I know where he was going.




The Goldfish Market was next. Although it is hard to tell from the photo, each of the baggies is filled with water and several beautiful fish. The array of colors is fantastic. I had never seen aqua colored fish before or lavender. I was quite tempted to bring home a pet, but I managed to keep control and just admire.




The Fruit and Vegetable Market was filled with lots of temptation. Here I succumbed and carried home some fresh peaches, lychee, rambutan, cherries and cherry tomatoes. Of course when you add to that the items I bought in the clothing market and the orchid and flowers, my trip back to Hong Kong Island seemed much longer than the trip over.


It was a very pleasant day and I made a lovely new friend. What more could you ask? 


On the weekend Sabine and Thomas invited us to their home for a bar-b-que. They live in Sai Kung which is past Kowloon and sits right on the water. Once you leave the big city environment, you are surrounded by trees and water and lots of open space. We accidentally overshot our destination (a long and funny story) and wound up in Sai Kung Village. Thomas told us to stay there and he would come get us. Sai Kung is a fishing village with a vibrant boardwalk and lost of marinas and restaurants and shops.






You can walk along the waterfront and on the piers and buy fresh fish and seafood right from the boats.


Once Thomas rescued us (although we were enjoying the sights immensely), we returned to his home which is located in a marina. Thomas was quick to point out that they have the smallest boat in the marina - just enough to run from place to place. However, some of the boats parked nearby were quite impressive. But not nearly as impressive as the view.




Sebastian was away for the evening so I did not meet him. Ken did on his prior visit. Leon and Lucy were charming hosts and just delightful to be around. Leon even gave us a tutorial on rugby and Lucy showed off some of her dancing. 




The meal was fantastic and Thomas really knows his way around the grill. We had a spicy mango salad that was great and our contribution was a fabulous chocolate cake and some egg tarts to go with the apricot schnapps for meal's end. I would like to say I made the desserts, but since I have no oven Maxim's Bakery became my ally. They did a wonderful job.


We had a wonderful evening in beautiful surroundings. The only sad part is that the entire family will be leaving in two weeks for their summer holidays in Germany. I will be sad to see them go at this time, but we are hoping they will be back before we depart for at least one more fun get together.

No comments:

Post a Comment