Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Huanghua Gang Park

Thursday morning in Guangzhou brought an intermittent misty rain and a beautiful day for a park visit. Huanghua Gang Park is also know as the Mausoleum of the 72 Martyrs.  


On April 27, 1911, the United League of China led by Dr. Sun Yat-Sen, launched an armed uprising in Guangzhou trying to overthrow the Qing Dynasty and set up a new nation based on democracy and liberty. This uprising failed and 72 warriors were killed. Later their remains were collected and Huanghua Gang Park was built in tribute to these men. The funds to build the park came from around the world and a memorial is built honoring those who donated.


The entrance closest to our hotel is dominated by a red iron gate.




Upon entering there is a long walkway lined with memorial markers and a pair of carved jade pillars.





The trees are beautiful and everywhere you turn there are individual monuments.





As I neared the center of the park, I came across the Square Pond. It was beautiful.




Nearby is another pond lined with flowers and crossed by a small bridge.





In one direction from the bridge was the walkway to the main entrance...




...and a very cute young man.




Looking inward from the bridge is a view of the Memorial to the 72 Martyrs.




The top of the structure is a pyramid comprised of 72 blocks carved with the names and locations of the groups who donated to build the park. I saw stones recognizing people from many areas of the US and Canada, Malaysia, the Philippines, Tahiti and many European locations.




Atop this pyramid of blocks sits a replica of the Statue of Liberty.




Surrounding this memorial were individual mausoleums for each of the warriors and other shrines. The sense of peace and calm throughout the park is palpable.






Huanghau Gang Park does not teem with the hustle and bustle of most parks. Most visitors stroll the grounds, visit various memorials and display a reverence for those honored there. I did hear one woman singing. She was beside one of the mausoleums and though I could not understand her words, the tune was hauntingly beautiful and I stopped for a while to listen. I later came across an elderly woman doing her morning tai chi.




There is a long memorial wall commemorating the battle.







I also came across a young girl and her grandfather enjoying a snack. After snapping a few photos, I practiced my best Chinese (xie xie - thank you) and she practiced her best English (bye bye). It was a highlight of my visit.




The remainder of the park is filled with ponds and a small lake crossed by a zig zag bridge (to keep evil spirits from entering as they can only move in straight lines), garden areas and beautiful walkways.






It was a beautiful morning's walk. I even had one gentleman try to get me to join him for coffee and a cigarette (all in pantomime of course). At my age I take that as a compliment.


Following the park I stopped for lunch at a Tibetan restaurant called Himalaya. The food was good and the atmosphere warm and inviting on a rainy afternoon. The exterior of the restaurant is lined with brass drums that are inscribed. As you pass by you can spin the drums to see what your future holds. 






Once again my ability (or lack of) in reading Chinese has left me without knowing what the future will bring. Ah well, it is quite an adventure no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment